The Mellieha Redoubt does not exist anymore and it was demolished
in the 19th century to construct the road that leads to Cirkewwa
via Mellieha village. The British Authorities in Malta had no
interest in these fortifications and when they needed to construct
something and one of these structures was in the middle of their
project they demolished it.
The Mellieha Redoubt was in the middle of the bay between Westreme
and Qassisu Batteries. Mellieha Bay is a large bay and very vulnerable
to an invasion. Therefore, it had to be defended using all means
possible. The redoubt was built from 1715-16 and costed some 1644
scudi. The Mellieha Redoubt was like the other redoubts built
on the coast opposite Comino. It had a pentagonal platform, surrounded
by a low parapet and had a rectangular blockhouse in the middle.
It is interesting to note that it was one of the redoubts which
were armed with artillery. By 1770 it was armed with four 6-pdrs
and their gunpowder was stored in the Fort St. Agatha.1